Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Six Months Going Strong


I thought something seemed a little off-kilter today.

It has been exactly six months, today, that I've been in Hawaii. And, it has been an interesting journey, to say the least. Hawaii is an experience I think everyone should try to have. I think change in general is good for the soul. It has shown me exactly what I'm capable of, and it's helped me to realize how adaptable I can really be.

The thing I love the most about Hawaii is being so close to my family. I have a beautiful family, and it's been a blessing. Regardless of what I'm going through in my life, they're always there for me. And they accept me for my weaknesses and my strengths. They know who I am, and they're okay with that. I always feel home when I'm with my cousins, my aunties, my uncles, or my mom and brothers. And, it gives me a little boost of self-esteem that I can't even extract from the deepest part of myself.

When I first got here, all I could think about was leaving. And, since I've been here, I've decided that Utah just isn't for me. It might be for some people, but I like Hawaii a lot better. I love it here actually. I didn't at first. I thought it was a sheer and utter nightmare living here, and there were even points where I felt so claustrophobic, I could barely breathe. (literally) But, I found peace within myself. Circumstances will happen that are outside of our control sometimes. I had two choices. I could either focus on what I could change or dwell on what could have been. I chose the first, and I'm learning, that's the only way to grow.

I love my life. It's still not perfect, but I am very fortunate. And, in spite of the trials and the obstacles that come my way, I look forward to the opportunity of trying to endure them. Whatever may be in the stars, if the universe has enough confidence in me to give me a fight--I'm down. ;)

No comments: