Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Third's the charm



This is the third month I've been in Hawaii, and it's finally feeling like home. As much as I hated adjusting to the island, it's going to be an even harder adjustment to leave. I didn't realize how much I needed to learn about myself, about my culture and about the people that I surround myself by. I have met the best people I think I could possibly meet here, and it's made me better.


I had so many amazing experiences when I first got here, that I wish I hadn't taken for granted. The first week I was here, my mom took me to a luau that was an authentic Hawaiian luau. It was all about my culture. Looking back, my attitude was horrible. I really thought I was better when I first got here. I became one of those Polynesians from the mainland that I hate. I thought I was smarter. I thought I had seen more of the world, and I didn't think that anyone who had so much less than I had, could possibly teach me anything more. What I've found, is that I knew nothing. And, I have learned so much. I've learned to be more patient, more accepting and less superficial on what I want in life. And, as a result, I'm definitely happier.


My testimony in this gospel has grown. I have met so many different people from all walks of life: culturally and religously. I've seen different types of struggles, and I've seen that I have so much to be grateful for. I love these people. I love my life. I still crave my independence, but I'm dreading going back to Utah. I don't miss it. I do miss being on my own, and I'd like to start somewhere completely fresh, somewhere where there's Black people preferably. LOL. But, I'll go wherever the Lord sees fit. I thought I'd made a huge mistake coming here, but God knows better than me. And, I'll leave it all up to him for now...

Until then, wish me luck in paradise! :)


Aloha!


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

No comments: